As Covid appears to be releasing its grip just as we venture outside to enjoy Spring, those infrequent creatures from below the surface are emerging to invade our trees, golf courses and outdoor dining venues with their annoying sounds.
Billions of Brood X cicadas are about to make their grand entrance, after 17 years in hiding, at a rate of 1.5 million per acre, for the next six weeks.
Here’s some fun facts to humor you as you swat them off your sidewalk, car and pets:
- We’re not alone, Brood X cicadas are about to perform in 15 states
- Cicadas lifespan is one of the longest of all insects – but only six weeks above ground
- Once wildlife and birds eat their fill cicadas that survive begin to spawn
- People who eat cicadas claim they taste like shrimp, peanut butter or asparagus
- Cicadas have three eyes and wings that repel water and bacteria
- Their screeching sound can reach 100 decibels – louder than a motorcycle
- Brood X cicadas typically sing between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
How Long Has Your Brand Been Underground?
In my career of guiding companies through the rebranding process, one story takes the cake. I was asked to manage a 50th anniversary of a business and when asked “what should we do?” I answered, “stop looking like you’re 50 years old.”
When it comes to marketing, “business as usual” is often the underlying excuse for not updating a brand. There is a natural avoidance to change – perpetuated by the axiom “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Unlike the cicadas, there is not set time to refresh your company brand, messaging and materials.
When was the last time you seriously looked at your marketing – and challenged whether it’s a strong and vibrant as when it was hatched?
If the answer is 17 years ago, it’s definitely time. But if it’s been a few years you’re probably missing an opportunity to showcase your company at its best.
Publishing executive Steve Forbes says – “Your brand is the single most important investment you can make in your business.”